Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

On the depth of the Internet

It always surprises me -- a surprise that always leads me into hours of wasteful websurfing -- what there is in the Internet that I have never stumbled across before. I don't mean which company, organization, or government agency now has a website full of material to comb through; it's that there are complete, vibrant communities out there, which have been flourishing for years, and whose existence was unknown to me -- even when it shouldn't be.

Case in point is Wiki Wednesdays, an idea with a corny name. (My thanks to Mark Dilley for pointing me to this.) For years, a group of people (with a little help from SocialText) have been trying to encourage people interested in Wikis and their communities to meet face to face.

I haven't been very good about organizing face-to-face meetups -- mostly because I tend to concentrate more on content than social interaction. But the idea of an informal, once-a-month drop in appeals to me. Sometimes I just don't want to leave the house, and attend a gathering like this month's Portland Linux/UNIX Group meeting. But I find that knowing that these meetings will be held every month makes it easier for me. I don't feel guilty if I've had a busy day and need to stay home that night and vegetate.

I'm hoping that Portland will have these get-togethers on a regular basis.

Geoff

Technorati tags: ,

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter