Wednesday, May 23, 2007

 

BarCamp sessions notes -- part the last

Yesterday I felt guilty about not finishing typing up and sharing my notes of the first Portland barcamp. So I looked to the book I had written my notes in, only to be disappointed. I had made some notes during Steve Habib-Rose's presentation "Network Weavers network", but they didn't make sense even to me. So I'm leaving those unpublished in my notebook. (John Sechrest wrote some up during the session, which are at Lokkju.) And I found that was the end of my notes; obviously, I had decided it was a better use of my time to talk than to write.

I had attended only two more sessions at BarCamp. One was about Wikipedia, hosted by Pete Forsyth -- although Ward Cunningham sat in. I was too busy talking and listening, so didn't take any notes during that session; I can only tell you what I remember. One was that Pete is very interested in convincing the State of Oregon to release all of the material it produces either into the public domain -- or under a free license, like the GFDL or one of the Creative Commons licenses. The other is that I asked if anyone wanted to participate in a second Portland Wikimeetup, and somehow became the person in charge of that. I know both Ward and Ray King want to be involved, so I guess I'm committed to making it happen.

The other session was a discussion about the television show Lost, whose season finale is tonight. Raven Zachary and Todd Kenefsky were responsible for that one: both were very involved in the organizing of this unconvention -- so involved that although they wanted to talk about the show, they were constantly postponing their conversation in order to attend to what needed to be done; this session was their way to have a moment to talk about it. Although I had participated in a couple of online fora about the show, this was the first time that I had discussed it with anyone in person. (FWIW, we didn't figure out any of the remaining mysteries.)

One thing I got out of this get-together which doesn't come over in my posts is that here I had a chance to share warstories with other folks in the local computer business -- some of whom I hadn't had a chance to talk with in many years. This might not be networking, or sharing vital scraps of information that a career could be built on -- but sometimes, you just need to prove to yourself that you are a part of this industry.

Geoff

Technocrati tags:

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter