Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

I'll take "Things that shouldn't have slipped below the radar" for $100

I found this while skimming through the archives of WikiEN-L. I'm surprised that it didn't make it to the Wikipedia Signpost, seeing how it is an important step towards creating a Wikipedia chapter in the United States.

There's been a lot of talk, more idle than serious, about creating the US chapter. My sense why there has been no concrete action is that we Wikipedians are too thin on the ground to make it happen here: for the first couple of years as a Wikipedian, I didn't know of another Wikipedian here in Portland, and my attempts to convene a Wikipedia Birds-of-a-Feather session at the O'Reilly Open Source Conferences never came to anything.

Maybe this will stir up some more interest in this idea. After all, with a US chapter, at least three Wikipedians ought to get to play on a special episode of "Jeopardy!" (Even better if we can take on those guys at Encyclopedia Britannica.)

Geoff

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter